LINDA GRIFFIN: Team effort, job well done
What this means to the citizens of this county is that all the work has been completed and payments and reimbursements have been made. What makes this even more significant is that Mississippi currently has 14 open disaster applications waiting on work to be completed or revenue to pay the state’s 12.5-percent to the counties.
Chickasaw County suffered its worst natural disaster on April 27, 2011, as a result of two tornadoes in a 12-hour period. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors took on the tasks of cleaning up the 31-mile stretch of storm debris with the help of Houston, Okolona, Houlka, Woodland and surrounding counties.
The disaster application with FEMA reimbursed our county 75-percent of the cost of debris cleanup and the State of Mississippi reimbursed 12.5-percent.
The cooperation of the board and elected officials during the process received praise from state and federal officials working in our county.
Chickasaw County citizens are also to be praised for the over 7,000 hours of volunteer work documented through the emergency operations center. This included cleanup, meals prepared and delivered, volunteer sites and donation centers as well as the sheriff’s inmate work program.
Words cannot express my appreciation and thanks to the many who came through this office each day asking, “What can I do to help?”
We suffered loss of life and loss of property that day but we also gained strength and knowledge that we live in one of the greatest places in the state of Mississippi.
Linda Griffin is Director of the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago