EDITORIAL: Time to plant
We’ve had our cold weather, the Sun shines a little longer and stronger and the green is beginning to show. Even city folk can look around and see it is Spring and that means it is the time to plant.
The same holds true for economic development.
We’ve had our share of a cold job market, the warmth of a reviving industrial base is shining a little longer and the “green” of local payrolls and a growing economy are beginning to show.
We were pleased to hear Pontotoc-Union-Chickasaw County Regional Developer Josh West tell those gathered at the Chickasaw Development Foundation annual banquet the industrial mega-site in eastern Chickasaw County is being promoted at a major industrial park around the world. We were also pleased to hear him say Houston is poised to see some good things happen.
But farmers will tell you planting is hard work. There is soil to be tilled, seed to be set and weeds to be fought.
Again, economic development is no different.
Houston needs to get busy preparing property for their next factory. We need to develop partnerships with every town along Highway 15 and Highway 8 and demand funds from Jackson and Washington to help us prepare our community for new businesses and industry.
Our town and county need to regularly sit with existing industry executives and cultivate those relationships so those companies gladly call on city and county government for help.
And we all need to look for those “weeds” and the greed that can kill any industrial development project.
Houston, Okolona and Houlka have good people who know how to form partnerships, provide community support, plan, prepare and promote.
It’s time to plant!
We will all benefit when the harvest time comes.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago