Lady Toppers moving on to playoffs
The Lady Toppers went to play and blasted the Lady Bulldogs of New Albany in Game One of their play-in round to determine which team would continue in post-season.
The Houston girls didn’t waste any time, posting 14 runs in the top of the first inning and following up with four in the second and two in the third while holding the Lady Bulldogs scoreless to wrap up a win in three innings.
“We hit the ball extremely well against New Albany,” said coach Jeffery Mann. “We have been swinging hot bats as of late.”
The Lady Bulldogs put up a much stronger fight in Game Two although the Lady Toppers gained a 4-0 lead through the second. The New Albany girls rallied in the top of the third with Aravia Foote getting a bouncer over shortstop for a single and advancing to second on a pass ball. Quinlan Amos walked on and Megan Dye loaded the bases with a single to the center field hole. Lauren Cavender ripped a line drive past shortstop for two RBI, closing the gap for the Lady Bulldogs to 4-2.
They held the Lady Toppers scoreless in the bottom of the frame, but the Houston girls came back in the fourth as Alexis McShan walked on and stole second before Mary Kansas Sullivan sent her home with a double to centerfield. Talaja Echoles had an RBI single to put the Lady Toppers ahead 6-2.
The Lady Bulldogs responded with two of there own, starting with Foote’s double and another pass ball to move her to third. Beth Barnes walked on and played off first to draw a pick off attempt scoring Foote and leaving Barnes safe on second. Quinlan Amos walked on and moved to third and home on consecutive wild pitches, putting the Lady Bulldogs at 6-4.
But that was as close as they would get. The Lady Toppers renewed their efforts in the fifth.
“Work and determination will win this one,” Mann told his players at the top of the inning and they responded in the bottom of the frame with Chelsea Robinson reaching on a pitching error and stealing second. Josie Anderson reached on another error and stole and Chelsea Gates’s single turned into a double on a fielding error, scoring Robinson. Sullivan’s sac fly plated two runs and Burdine hit a double to put runners at second and third who both scored on a pass ball for an 11-4 Houston lead.
The Lady Bulldogs rallied for two more in the top of the seventh but couldn’t overcome the deficit and the Houston girls took an 11-6 win.
Although all Monday games were postponed due to weather and Tuesday was not certain, Mann is hoping the team will keep their momentum going for round one of playoffs. The Lady Toppers will face Cleveland (15-8, 9-0) as their next opponent when the skies clear.
“I hope this continues throughout the playoffs,” Mann said. “We are a scary team when we hit like we are capable of hitting. We are going to take it one series at a time. We are focused on Cleveland now and will look to take two of three from them and keep our season alive.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago