Paying it forward
For the second year, two scholarships in honor of the former history teacher and coach at Houlka Attendance Center will be presented at graduation and fundraising efforts are currently underway.
“Last year, two $500 scholarship were given to two seniors graduating from Houlka High School and attending college,” said scholarship committee member Pammie Davidson. “The committee members are in the process of raising money for the fund.”
Members are selling various items including chances on a new bicycle.
“It would be great to win the bike to ride the Tanglefoot Trail,” Davidson said.
Chances are $2 each or three for $5. Red and black bracelets inscribed with the message “Stay Strong, No Excuses” are available for $1 each.
“Stay strong was the saying coach Byars always used with his students and family,” Davidson added.
An alumni baseball and softball games are planned for later in the fall and tax deductible donations may be made through the CREATE Foundation at any time by going online to www.createdfoundation.com and selecting the Coach Jimbo Byars Scholarship Fund or by mailing to CREATE, 213 West Main St., Unit 100, Tupelo, MS 38804.
Chances on the bike and bracelets may be purchased at
n Houlka City Hall
n G&T Auto Sales
n Home baseball and softball games
Committee members include Sonja Byars, Davidson, Susan Harmon, Wendy Huiffman, Todd Ivan and coach Jimmy Guy McDonald.
Students who apply for the scholarship are required to write an essay to be reviewed by the committee.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago