Houston hosts a who?
The Toppers know they have the number two spot in division 4-4A.
They know they will host Game One of their first playoff series Thursday.
The only question is – against who?
“We won’t know we we’ve got until Tuesday night with division 2-4A is complete,” said coach Scott Gann.
The 2-4A battle for positions is still underway for Ripley, New Albany and Lafayette County, but Gann says the competition is pretty even.
“Those are all capable of being a number-one seed, for sure,” Gann said.
The Toppers were tied for first place going into last week and hoped to secure the number-one spot by winning over West Lauderdale. In their April 17 game, the Toppers broke the game open in the sixth with three runs, but the Knights retaliated with four in the bottom of the inning and held the lead for the win.
Friday’s game saw the Toppers take an 8-0 loss to the Knights.
“Thursday was just a complete and total draining game,” Gann said. “Physically, emotionally and any other term you would like to use. Austin Burdine pitched a one-hitter and our offense put up three runs in the top of the sixth to go up 3-0 off their ace who has signed with Ole Miss and throws consistently 88 mph and touched 92-93 a few times the other night and we still got beat.”
With both games behind them the Toppers will now begin traveling the playoff road with the goal of State on the horizon. In the best-of-three format, Friday’s game will put the Houston boys on the road and if a Saturday game is needed, it will be played at home.
“We are the number-two seed and play in a three-game series this week, so that is now our focus,” Gann said.
The Toppers have been here before, making runs past division for the last two years and know the work that lies ahead.
“We are just taking it one game and one series at a time,” Gann said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago