Houston Homecoming set for June 28
July 4 falls on a Friday this year and the Houston Homecoming committee had pondered hosting the annual event after Independence Day.
“We’ve always held it the Saturday before July 4th,” said Lanny Wilson, Homecoming chairman. “I checked as far back as I could – that was 10-years – and we’ve always held homecoming before July 4th.”
Several members of the committee pointed out many families plan vacations to Houston around Homecoming. A class reunion is already being planned around the June 28 date.
Plans are also underway to sell Homecoming t-shirts to raise funds for the event.
Shirts will be sold for $12, come in a rainbow of colors and feature the Homecoming design. Orders can be placed by contacting any Houston Homecoming committee member or by picking up an order form at the Chickasaw Journal office just east of The Square in downtown Houston.
And while the timing of Homecoming won’t change, other details of the giant block party will.
The construction of a telephone tower on a vacant lot on Monroe Street last year had the committee launch fireworks from a lot on the north side of The Square. Tall storefronts in the area kept many from getting a good view and a new location is being sought.
Wilson said two groups have been booked for the July 4th gig and he is looking to fill two spots.
“I like to have a gospel group and a solo act and if they are a local group that is even better,” said Wilson. “We like to have a little something for all entertainment tastes.”
Wilson said The Gents, out of Amory, will be headline act. The Gents have been a longtime favorite at the Amory Railroad Festival and have played locally for years.
New this year are The Eisenhauers, a bluegrass/country trio made up of mom, son and daughter. The Eisenhauers have played the Grande Ole Opry and this will be their first visit to Chickasaw County.
Committee chairmen have already started soliciting donations for this year’s event.
The Houston Homecoming Committee did agree to the following lineup:
- 4:45 p.m.- Veteran and Children’s Parade.
- 5 p.m. – Vendors open booths.
- 5 p.m. – Entertainment begins.
- 9:15 p.m. – Fireworks.
- 10 p.m. – Event closes.
For more information about Houston Homecoming 2013 call the Chickasaw Development Foundation at 456-2321.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago