Rams, Trojans battle through eight
The Bruce Trojans got a win in the county rivalry against Vardaman Saturday, but it didn’t come easy and took eight innings to do it.
The Trojans came out in the second with a 1-0 lead and added six more through the bottom of the fourth to appear as if they were going to put it out of reach.
The Rams didn’t think so.
The Vardaman boys battled back with five runs in the top of the fifth and two in the sixth to tie and went ahead in the top of the seventh and it was the Trojans turn to tie it in the bottom of the frame.
In the top of the eighth, the Rams plated another run for the lead, but the Bruce boys got three across for the 11-9 win.
Houlka wins over Rams
In the Friday game, the Houlka Wildcats used a division win over the Rams to keep their hopes of a playoff berth alive.
But starting the week, the weather was not cooperating in keeping them on the field.
“We were supposed to play Smithville tonight (Monday) and obviously that’s not happening,” said coach Jimmy Guy McDonald of the rain-canceled game.
The Wildcats will host Tupelo Christian Prep Friday and reschedule their Smithville game for next Thursday. With Smithville and TCPS battling for first place in division, the Wildcats are battling to slip into the third-place spot. They will face Hamilton April 22 in a game that will decide who makes the playoffs.
“We’ve got to beat Hamilton by more than two runs to get in third,” McDonald said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago