OKOLONA – James Robert “Jim” Patterson, 83, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. He was born in Shannon on Aug. 18, 1930, to Ray Wood Patterson and Annie Mae Mills Patterson.
He was a lifelong resident of Chickasaw County where he attended Egypt and Okolona public schools. He continued his education attending Mississippi State University. He married Janelle Hillhouse at the Okolona Christian Church on June 19, 1955. He was a proud American who served in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict and was awarded two bronze stars for his unwavering courage.
His working career included 25 years in maintenance at Futorian/Stratolounger, and previously 17 years working for Meadow Sportswear. He loved all sports, especially football and Bear Bryant and the Crimson Tide. He was a simple man who was a lot of fun to be around and was a great conversationalist. He enjoyed fishing and frog-gigging with friends especially his late brother-in-law, Thurman Mitchell. He loved his family and spending time with his pride and joy-the grandchildren and great-grandchildren, who affectionately called him Daddy Jim. His most recent honor was being named Father of the Year at the North Mississippi Medical Center Daycare. He was a longtime member of Okolona First Baptist Church.
A celebration of life service will be 2 p.m., Monday, April 21, in the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with Dr. Randy Lewman officiating. Burial, with military honors, will follow at Lee Memorial Park in Verona.
He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Janelle Hillhouse Patterson of Okolona; two daughters, Jenny Ray of Tupelo and Cyndi Martin of Ringgold, Ga.; one brother, “Dave” Hal Patterson (Bonnie) of Bounds Crossroads in Itawamba County; one sister, Martha Ann Patterson Mitchell of Okolona; three grandchildren, Levi Ray, Julia Martin, and Rachel Wooten; six great-grandchildren, Jordan Ray, Harliegh Ray, Kadence Williams, Ethan Ray, Kadyn Martin, and Rylee Ray; and two sisters-in-law, Carolyn Ingram (Joe) of Olive Branch and Jackie Gault.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brother, Paul “Pat” Patterson; and sister, Fannie Sue “Bug” Chaney.
Pallbearers will be Joe Hillhouse, Kenneth “Kebo” Davis, Joey Crane, Randy Mitchell, Tony Ray, Wade Jones, Scotty Mitchell, Bobby Hillhouse, Frank Hillhouse, Stacey Hillhouse, Sherman Hillhouse and Mike Hillhouse.
Honorary pallbearers will be the staff at Sanctuary Hospice House.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday and from 1 p.m. until service time Monday.
Memorials may be made to Sanctuary Hospice House, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803 or to First Baptist Church of Okolona, 201 West Main St., Okolona, MS 38860.
Condolences may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Slim dollars, opportunities for lazy Americans May 21, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago