HOUSTON – Grace Robinson Floyd, 89 years old, of Tupelo, died Saturday, April 19, 2014, at Fern Brooke Personal Care Home, Houston, Miss.
She was born on December 17, 1924, to Alfred Thomas Robinson and Nola Newcomb Robinson in Eastport, Miss. She graduated from Burnsville High School, where she played basketball and loved the sport. Grace married Hubert Elias Floyd in 1942. Grace supported her husband on the home front, taking care of their family, while he served in World War II and then again during the Korean War. Grace was an Auxillary Member of the Second Calvary Association and an Eastern Star. Grace worked as a Cosmetologist for 16 years, and returned to college to become a Registered Nurse. She graduated from Mississippi University of Women in 1977. She worked at Houston Hospital, where she served as interim Director of Nursing for a time. Then worked at North Mississippi Medical Center as an emergency room nurse from 1981 until she retired, then worked part time until she was 79. She loved going on mission trips and traveled to Honduras, Nicaragua and Argentina. Grace loved traveling during her lifetime and visited Germany, England, France, Poland, Spain, Australia, Canada, and other places. Grace was a member of First Baptist Church, Tupelo, Miss., where she was a member of Vicky King’s Sunday School Class and also enjoyed working with the English as a second language classes. She served and helped anywhere she could, especially loved keeping babies in the nursery. She taught Sunbeams when her children were small. Grace wanted to share her love of God with everyone she came in contact with and wanted to make sure that all children were taught about God and Salvation.
Services will be 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, at Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Houston with Bro. Chad Grayson and Bro. Ricky Young officiating. Burial will be in the Houston Cemetery in Houston. Memorial Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include a son, David Floyd and Charlene of Tupelo; two daughters, Norma Floyd Kilgore of Houston, Susan and Grady Barnett of Woodland; grandchildren, Monica Rowland Aldridge (Lamar) of Tupelo, Jordan Kilgore (Serena) of Houston, Trent Barnett (Kristy) of Calhoun City, Taryn Barnett Dempsey (David) of Houston, Taylor Barnett Sciple (Justin) of Houston, Carrie Parkinson (Todd) of Victoria, Texas, Misty Jurss of Lytle, Texas, Sarah Cooper of Samson, Ala., Charlotte Domanski Alexander of Sherman; great-grandchildren, Ben Aldridge, Reagan Aldridge, Logan Dempsey, Natalie Dempsey, Cooper Dempsey, Hayden Barnett, Riley Kilgore, Emma Grace Kilgore, Rena Claire Kilgore, Conner, Michael, Trace and Callie Parkinson of Victoria, Texas, Alexander and Grace Jurss of Lytle, Texas, Zephen Reyna, Brydon, Ashley and Stacy Cooper Jr. of Samson, Ala.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Hubert Elias Floyd; by a son, Thomas Franklin Floyd; her parents, Alfred Thomas and Nola Newcomb Robinson; her brothers, Edward Robinson, Lee Robinson, Luther Robinson, Alfred Dock Robinson and John Robinson; her sisters, Onnie Mae Frazee, Mattie Marlar Star, and Suzie Robinson; a grandson, Jonathan Kilgore; great-grandsons, Thomas Joseph and Russell Myron Parkinson; a son in law, Robert Clarence (PeeWee) Kilgore.
Pallbearers will be Lamar Aldridge, Ben Aldridge, Justin Sciple, Trent Barnett, David Dempsey and Jordan Kilgore.
Visitation will be Monday, April 21, from 5 until 7 p.m. at Memorial Funeral Home.
For online condolences, visit memorialfuneralhomehouston.com. – See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/djournal/obituary.aspx?n=grace-floyd-robinson&pid=170716777#sthash.4bt0kNt4.dpuf
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago