Lady Toppers wrestle Gators
The Lady Toppers helped solidify their spot in the playoffs last week as they romped over the Lady Gators of Leake Central April 10 on the home field.
The Houston girls grabbed an early 8-1 lead through the first two innings but didn’t stop there.
In the top of the third the Lady Gators loaded the bases with two outs but junior Talaja Echoles snagged a pop-up at second to return the Lady Toppers to offense.
Chelsea Gates took two strikes, then ripped a line drive past shortstop for a double and Alexis McShan’s inside-the-park homer plated them both.
Mary Kansas Sullivan got a double past first base and Echoles sailed one over the left field fence to bring in two more runs and the Lady Toppers extended their lead to 12-1.
The Houston girls held Leake in the top of the fourth with two groundouts from third to first and a strike out.
In the top of the fifth, Taylor Lancaster replaced Madeline Burdine on the mound, getting two K and another groundout from third to first to end the game in five innings.
Playoffs, in which position?
The Lady Toppers still have a couple of district games left to play, as do their opponents in 4-4A, leaving room to jockey for playoff positions. Houston closed the week running neck-and-neck with Kosciusko and just behind West Lauderdale.
A win over Caledonia Thursday could shift them into a higher berth.
“We need to win over Caledonia because Kosy beat them twice,” said coach Jeffery Mann.
The Lady Toppers split games wtih Kosciusko earlier in the season so their placement could be determined by point differential.
“If that happens, we’ll be over Kosy because we beat them by more runs,” Mann said.
The Lady Toppers were set to start their week hosting West Lauderdale Tuesday. The Lady Knights (10-4, 6-0) currently hold the number one spot in division.
“It could change a lot,” Mann said. “We could be the number one, two or three. Just depends on what everyone else does.”
The Houston girls will wrap the regular season April 22 hosting Noxubee County in a double-header.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago