Holy Week in Houston
“If you can’t get excited about being a Christian during Holy Week, you need to get in church this week,” said Rev. Rex Wilburn, pastor of Houston First United Methodist Church. “This has been a great series of services and fellowship for the church in Houston. We are urging people to come out Friday and worship as a community and then be in your home church on Easter Sunday.”
Wilburn said he is relatively new to Houston but has been told this year’s Lenten Lunches have seen record crowds.
“This is a good community with good people who love the Lord,” said Wilburn. “This is also a community filled with a lot of people looking to fill a hole in their heart.
“That is what Easter is all about,” Wilburn explained. “This is Holy Week and everything about it points to the cross and Jesus’ sacrifice for our sins. Those who accept Him and live for him know his resurrection is true and they have a joy in their heart that He will one day carry them home to live with Him in heaven.
“Like I said, if we can’t get excited about eternal life we’ve missed the message of Easter,” he added. “Sadly, as we look around this world, we realize many have missed the message.”
Lenten Lunches have been a series of 12 meals and messages leading up to Easter
While First Methodist hosts the event, guest churches are called on each week to provide music, a meal and a minister to provide a quick message.
Wilburn said watching Houston denominations gather for Lenten services as the true church has been one of the joys of this year’s event.
Unlike Wednesday Lenten Luncheons, Good Friday Services begin with the message and will be followed by the meal. Dress is casual and it’s Ok to be a little late. Wilburn urged business people to invite their co-workers to Friday’s service.
There is no charge for the meal but there is an offering basket and all donations are used by the Greater Houston Ministerial Alliance to help the needy throughout the year.
This season’s Lenten lunch dates, ministers and guest churches were:
• March 12, Bro. Steve Lampkin, South Charge United Methodist Churches
• March 19, Bro. Joe Coggins, North Charge United Methodist Churches.
• March 26, Dr. Daniel Heeringa, Houston First Baptist Church.
• April 2, Bro. Randy Hays, Cornerstone Church.
• April 9, Sr. Pat Hinton, Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church.
• April 16, Dr. Randy Rinehart, Parkway Baptist Church.
• April 18, Good Friday, Bro. Rex Wilburn, Houston First United Methodist Church.
For more information please call Houston First United Methodist Church at 456-2203 or stop by the church office at 230 North Jackson Street.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago