Houston firefighters busy
HOUSTON – Firefighters with the Houston Fire Department have been busy this past week answering four larger fires, a host of smaller calls and medical calls too.
Firefighters were called to a shed fire on Starkville Road Friday and another one on Nabors Drive early Saturday morning. This was followed by a large grass fire Saturday afternoon in the county and house fire on Parker Avenue Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters had been notified of a controlled burn at 640 Starkville Road on Friday, but the old wooden shed adjacent to Houston High School burned hotter and quicker than expected prompting a call to the fire department.
“The shed was fully involved and we could see smoke as we approached,” said Captain Jason Davis of the Houston Fire Department. “We thought it was a lot worse than it actually turned out to be.”
Davis said shed was probably more than 50-years old and had a shingle roof with tar-paper felt.
“They had gotten everything out and Houston does not have an ordinance preventing a controlled burn,” said Davis. “But the side of their house was steaming when we got there and we kept it from spreading to a newly built shed right next to it.”
Davis said Houston High School administrators were concerned the smoke might drift onto the campus or embers might fall on student’s cars parked in the south parking lot.
Both Houston pumper trucks responded to the blaze at 9:07 a.m, Friday which blocked traffic on Starkville Road for about 45 minutes.
West Point Road
The Houston Fire Department responded to a fire call at 5:58 a.m. Saturday morning and found a shed on fire at 848 West Point Road.
“It was fully involved when we got there,” said Sgt. Mitchell Slaughter, of the Houston Fire Department. “Flames were probably 40-foot high. It was a pretty big fire.”
Slaughter said the fire destroyed the shed and firefighters poured water on it to keep it from spreading.
Slaughter said no one was hurt in that fire.
The Houston Fire Department responded to a grass fire at 238 CR 418 about 6 p.m. Saturday and found a large portion of ground ablaze.
Firefighters were on the scene about an hour getting the fire under control.
Wet ground kept this fire from being more serious than it was.
A homeowner returned home and when they opened the door spotted fire in their house.
The Houston Fire Department responded to a fire at 108 Parker Avenue at 4:19 p.m. Sunday and found a kitchen fire inside the home.
“The homeowner was away and they were lucky they found it when they did,” said Sgt. Mitchell Slaughter, of the Houston Fire Department. “They are also lucky the fire didn’t flashover when they opened the door.”
Slaughter said the home suffered smoke and water damage and firefighters left the scene about 5:36 p.m.
The department saw both pumpers and 10 firefighters respond to the house fire.
- Fire station going up
- Firefighters battle flames at Houston night club
- Southwest Houston night club catches fire
- Watch a Gripping, Last-Second Rescue by the Houston Fire Department
- Hero Complex
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago