3 dead in Nettleton shooting: Altercation at plant leads to street gunfire
NETTLETON – What began as a fight among family members Wednesday ended with two dead along Main Street in Nettleton’s downtown and one pronounced dead at North Mississippi Medical Center after being transported by helicopter.
Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson said four people were in a car leaving United Furniture on Main Street in Nettleton where some of them were previously engaged in an altercation.
As the car approached downtown coming from the furniture factory, one of the people in the car shot two other people in the car.
Both shooting victims were able to get out of the car, one falling to the ground immediately at the intersection of Mullen Avenue and Main Street. The second left the vehicle and fled about 100 yards, chased by the shooter, until falling.
“The shooter then walks up to him and fired several more rounds at that particular individual,” Johnson said. “At that time the Nettleton Police Department responded. While the officer was engaged with the driver of the vehicle, the shooter came up from behind the policeman and fired several rounds into the police car, damaging it.”
Johnson said that’s when the police officer engaged in a gunfight with the active shooter, fatally shooting the shooter.
The fourth individual in the car has been cooperating with law enforcement, according to Johnson.
The 911 dispatch office sent out the call for units to respond to an active shooter at 11:40 a.m.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell said they found several shell casings at the scene and each shooting victim was shot multiple times.
Two were pronounced dead at the scene and a third airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center before being pronounced dead Wednesday afternoon.
The silver Chevy Trailblazer in which the individuals were riding was in the middle of Main Street and halfway into the intersection. Behind it a Nettleton Police Department patrol car sat with the back window shot out.
The bodies of the two individuals pronounced dead at the scene were removed from the scene around 4 p.m. as the investigation continued downtown.
Authorities are not releasing the name of the officer involved in the gunfight but said the veteran officer is being questioned as to what happened and appears to be justified in returning gunfire.
The names of the shooter and deceased are not being released at this time either and were not available at press time.
They did say the individuals in the vehicle were family with one possibly being a close acquaintance.
Johnson said they do not know for sure what each of the four individual’s involvement with United Furniture was at this point in the investigation.
The case is still being investigated by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations and Mississippi Highway Patrol with assistance from both the Lee County and Monroe County sheriff’s offices. The two sheriff’s offices are involved since it happened on the Lee-Monroe county line.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is encouraged to contact CrimeStoppers (1-800-773-TIPS), the Lee County Sheriff (662-841-9041) or Monroe County Sheriff (662-369-2468).
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago