OKOLONA – Alvie Dow “Bunt” Griggs Jr., 85, died Sunday, April 13, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice in Tupelo. He was born Aug. 25, 1928, in Chickasaw County to Alvie Dow Griggs Sr. and Flora Hulsey Griggs.
He served in the U.S. Army as a private first class during the Korean War. He retired from People Loungers, where he was a mechanic. He was a member of Church of God of Prophecy.
Services were at 2 p.m. Monday, April 15, at Southern Funeral Chapel in Houston with Sis. Margaret Browning and Bro. Tony Rooks officiating. Burial was in Macedonia Methodist Church Cemetery. Southern Funeral Chapel is in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by his wife, Rachel L. Griggs of Okolona; his children, Roy Clint Griggs (Becky) of Grenada, Patricia Lewis (Eddie) of Okolona, Rodney Griggs of Okolona and Marvin Griggs (Madrin) of Okolona; nine grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild; his brothers, David Griggs (Barbara) of Aberdeen and James “Son” Griggs (Janice) of Louisiana; and his sisters, Elizabeth Johnson (Bobby) of Houston, Lorene Burgess (Odell) of Houston, Virginia Arys of South Carolina and Lavern Davis of Arkansas.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Alvie and Flora Griggs; his brothers, Cooper Griggs and Arnold Griggs; a grandson, James Clinton Griggs; and a great-grandson, Peyton Ryan Harris.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago