Authorities warns of ‘IRS Phone Scam’
Scammers are threatening to arrest if people don’t pay back taxes that they really don’t owe.
The BBB is warning Mississippi residents to be alert if anyone calls, particularly having to do with
personal tax information.
“We have been experiencing an increase of calls this week from Mississippians stating that they
have been contacted via phone from the IRS claiming they owe back taxes” said John O’Hara, of
the BBB serving Mississippi. “They are threatening to put an arrest warrant out on individuals or
their assets will be frozen.”
“These scammers are sometimes successful because they are aggressive and are attempting to
scare people into reacting before thinking,” says O’Hara. “ They have two goals in mind, one is
to steal someone’s identity and the other is a quick payment through a moneygram card to avoid
further penalties or jail time.”
The BBB is giving some key points that people need to remember if they receive these phone
● The IRS doesn’t contact people by phone, always by mail.
● The IRS will never threaten to arrest an individual.
● The BBB wants the public to remember that if they do owe back taxes, the IRS
will send out notices. People usually receive multiple notices from the IRS when
they owe money.
Chickasaw County residents who feel they are the target of any kind of phone scam are urged to contact the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department immediately.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago