Lady Toppers take two
No one said it would be easy to replace three dominant pitchers from the past two years, but the Lady Toppers haven’t shied away from the challenge.
“We have to dig deep and play hard and this team has done that all year long,” said coach Jeffery Mann.
Three-year starter, Haley Gravat, graduated in 2012 and the tag-team of Avery Springer and Audi Dendy left at graduation this year, but sophomore Madeline Burdine and senior Taylor Lancaster have stepped up to the mound and led the Lady Toppers to two district wins last week.
The Houston girls drummed Caledonia 11-2 on March 25 and blasted Leake Central 14-1 on March 27 with Burdine getting the nod for both games.
In the Caledonia game Burdine went 2-3 at the plate with a double, triple and RBI while Lancaster had a three RBI homer. Talaja Echoles and Alexis McShan added two RBI each and Mary Kansas Sullivan had one RBI.
In the Leake game both Scarlett Doss and Echoles went 2-3 with an RBI, Lancaster had three RBI and Quaneshia Pratt had four RBI.
“We played well against Caledonia and Leake,” Mann said. “Pitched well and the bats came alive.”
The Lady Toppers entered the week at 2-1 in division, taking their only loss to the Lady Whippets they are scheduled to play Thursday.
“Tough week this week,” Mann said. “We travel to West Lauderdale Tuesday and host Kosy Thursday. We also travel to Itawamba Friday. You won’t find three tougher games in any team’s weekly schedule. All three of those teams are good ones.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago