BUFFALO, Mo. – Benjamin L. Carter, 98, passed away peacefully on Monday, March 17, 2014, at Colonial Nursing Home in Buffalo, Mo. He was preceded in death by his loving wife of 65 years, Hettye W. Carter.
Born in 1916 in Van Vleet, he graduated in civil engineering from Mississippi State University in 1938. Waiving a deferment received for his work at Oak Ridge, Tenn., he volunteered for military active duty in 1943. He deployed to New Guinea with the 1311th Engineering Regiment building, docks, roads and an airfield. He was awarded a battlefield commission and was subsequently promoted to 1st Lt. After the war, he worked as a civil engineer on a number of highway projects in Mississippi. Subsequent projects included work on dams, power plants and large residential developments in multiple states, including Illinois, Texas and Louisiana. He and his wife retired to Buffalo, Mo., in the early 1980s.
He is survived by his nephew, Ben Douglas of Cape Coral, Fla.; and a niece, Mary Kringer of Burke, Va.
Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 22, at Robinson Funeral Home in West Point. Burial will follow in Palo Alto Cemetery.
Visitation will be from 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at robinsonfh.net.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago