BUFFALO, Mo. – Benjamin L. Carter, 98, passed away peacefully on Monday, March 17, 2014, at Colonial Nursing Home in Buffalo, Mo. He was preceded in death by his loving wife of 65 years, Hettye W. Carter.
Born in 1916 in Van Vleet, he graduated in civil engineering from Mississippi State University in 1938. Waiving a deferment received for his work at Oak Ridge, Tenn., he volunteered for military active duty in 1943. He deployed to New Guinea with the 1311th Engineering Regiment building, docks, roads and an airfield. He was awarded a battlefield commission and was subsequently promoted to 1st Lt. After the war, he worked as a civil engineer on a number of highway projects in Mississippi. Subsequent projects included work on dams, power plants and large residential developments in multiple states, including Illinois, Texas and Louisiana. He and his wife retired to Buffalo, Mo., in the early 1980s.
He is survived by his nephew, Ben Douglas of Cape Coral, Fla.; and a niece, Mary Kringer of Burke, Va.
Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 22, at Robinson Funeral Home in West Point. Burial will follow in Palo Alto Cemetery.
Visitation will be from 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at robinsonfh.net.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago