Harold Mack Patterson, of Chickasaw County, was arrested shortly after midnight in the shooting of Steve Smith, also of Chickasaw County, who was struck the neck as they scuffled with a .22-caliber rifle.
Chickasaw County Chief Deputy James Myers said the incident occurred about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at County Road 186, behind the old McCondy Post Office.
“These two guys worked together and knew each other and there were apparently some words said and an altercation,” said Myers. “One of the guys went inside and got a rifle and in wrestling with the gun in the yard, it fired and struck one of the guys in the neck.”
Myers said authorities have been told there was no one else at the scene at the time. Myers did say Smith was driven to the emergency room of Trace Regional Medical Center and authorities were called at that time.
Myers said the weapon has been recovered and the incident is still under investigation.
Myers said Thursday afternoon that Patterson was in the Chickasaw County Jail and slated to be arraigned in Chickasaw County Justice Court Friday morning with bond to be set at that time.
Man arrested in McCondy shooting
About Floyd Ingram
- BOBBY SANDERSON: Service to humanity November 15, 2014
- Stephens cast in ICC production November 18, 2014
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- Defense plays its part in Cal-City’s perfect season November 19, 2014
- Solar farm shines in Chickasaw County November 19, 2014
- Mississippi jobless rate at 7.6 percent in October November 22, 2014
- WEEK 14: High school football playoff scores November 22, 2014
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- Hunting is part of my heritage November 21, 2014
- Helping Hands of Houlka November 21, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
aberdeen amory Army arrest Baptist basketball Bruce business Calhoun City Calhoun County chickasaw Chickasaw County city County Court crime education Eupora featured fire floyd football Franklin houlka Houston ingram Jones Mantee Mississippi Money Moore MSU Okolona Parker police Pontotoc Prairie school schools scores Smith Tupelo Vardaman west point Woodland
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago