Harold Mack Patterson, of Chickasaw County, was arrested shortly after midnight in the shooting of Steve Smith, also of Chickasaw County, who was struck the neck as they scuffled with a .22-caliber rifle.
Chickasaw County Chief Deputy James Myers said the incident occurred about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at County Road 186, behind the old McCondy Post Office.
“These two guys worked together and knew each other and there were apparently some words said and an altercation,” said Myers. “One of the guys went inside and got a rifle and in wrestling with the gun in the yard, it fired and struck one of the guys in the neck.”
Myers said authorities have been told there was no one else at the scene at the time. Myers did say Smith was driven to the emergency room of Trace Regional Medical Center and authorities were called at that time.
Myers said the weapon has been recovered and the incident is still under investigation.
Myers said Thursday afternoon that Patterson was in the Chickasaw County Jail and slated to be arraigned in Chickasaw County Justice Court Friday morning with bond to be set at that time.
Man arrested in McCondy shooting
About Floyd Ingram
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- MDWFP BRIEFS: Weapon changes for deer hunters September 20, 2014
- WEEK 5: High school football scores September 20, 2014
- BILLY MCCORD: As I see it September 20, 2014
- MSMS to host info meeting in Oxford September 20, 2014
- LETTER TO EDITOR: Zora Cousin September 22, 2014
- Houston gets grant for fire loop September 22, 2014
- Shempert/Norwood September 21, 2014
- Making their special day, extra special September 21, 2014
- Pontotoc liquor vote tied with five ballots out September 20, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
aberdeen amory Army arrest Baptist Baseball basketball Bruce business Calhoun City Calhoun County chickasaw Chickasaw County Christmas city County Court crime education Eupora featured fire floyd football Franklin houlka Houston ingram Jones Mantee Mississippi Money Moore Okolona Parker police Pontotoc Prairie school schools Smith Tupelo Vardaman west point Woodland
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago