Harold Mack Patterson, of Chickasaw County, was arrested shortly after midnight in the shooting of Steve Smith, also of Chickasaw County, who was struck the neck as they scuffled with a .22-caliber rifle.
Chickasaw County Chief Deputy James Myers said the incident occurred about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at County Road 186, behind the old McCondy Post Office.
“These two guys worked together and knew each other and there were apparently some words said and an altercation,” said Myers. “One of the guys went inside and got a rifle and in wrestling with the gun in the yard, it fired and struck one of the guys in the neck.”
Myers said authorities have been told there was no one else at the scene at the time. Myers did say Smith was driven to the emergency room of Trace Regional Medical Center and authorities were called at that time.
Myers said the weapon has been recovered and the incident is still under investigation.
Myers said Thursday afternoon that Patterson was in the Chickasaw County Jail and slated to be arraigned in Chickasaw County Justice Court Friday morning with bond to be set at that time.
Man arrested in McCondy shooting
About Floyd Ingram
- Parks named to Tombigbee Water Management Board February 24, 2015
- Houston ponders community assets February 27, 2015
- Houlka smashes Smithville, falls to Coffeeville February 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Quality of life February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- Moore to attend Clinton Global Initiative March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
aberdeen amory Army arrest Baptist basketball Bruce business Calhoun City Calhoun County chickasaw Chickasaw County Christmas city County Court crime education Eupora featured fire floyd football Franklin houlka Houston ingram Jones Mantee Mississippi Money Moore MSU Okolona Parker police Pontotoc Prairie school schools Smith Tupelo Vardaman west point Woodland
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago