“It’s a great opportunity for believers to join together and focus on repentance, self examination, prayer and to get ready for Easter,” said Melissa Moore, Minister of Music at Houston First United Methodist Church. “That really is the idea behind Lent.”
Moore said, while First Methodist hosts the event, guest churches are called on each week to provide music, a meal and a minister to provide a quick message.
Moore said the meal begins in the Family Life Center a little before noon, the dress is casual and it’s Ok to be a little late. She urged business people to invite their co-workers and each service finishes up promptly so everyone can get back to work on time.
There is no charge for the meal but there is an offering basket and all donations are used by the Greater Houston Ministerial Alliance to help the needy throughout the year.
This season’s Lenten lunch dates, ministers and guest churches are:
• March 19, Bro. Joe Coggins, North Charge United Methodist Churches.
• March 26, Dr. Daniel Heeringa, Houston First Baptist Church.
• April 2, Bro. Randy Hays, Cornerstone Church.
• April 9, Sr. Pat Hinton, Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church.
• April 16, Dr. Randy Rinehart, Parkway Baptist Church.
• April 18, Good Friday, Bro. Rex Wilburn, Houston First United Methodist Church.
For more information please call Houston First United Methodist Church at 456-2203 or stop by the church office at 230 North Jackson Street.