COLUMBIA, Tenn. – Anna Marion Wessels, 100, passed away at her home in Columbia, Tenn., on Sunday, March 16, 2014. She was born on May 19, 1913, in Houlka to Robert Marion and Kate Patterson Marion. She married Ernest Wessels on June 19, 1938 and they had two children together.
She graduated from Blue Mountain College in 1934 and worked as a school teacher in Memphis for many years. She was a longtime member of Union Avenue Baptist Church in Memphis, serving more than 50 years in nursery Sunday school. On moving to Columbia in 1997, she joined Highland Park Baptist Church and was active as long as her health permitted.
A lifelong bird watcher and gardener, she was a member of various clubs and took trips to Europe, South America, Alaska and Hawaii to see new birds and gardens.
She is survived by her children, Anna (Ed) Wilson of Columbia and Robert (Eileen) Wessels of Big Sandy; and grandchildren, Keeli Lonas, Kurt Wessels, Linda (Jeff) Frantom and Chris (Jim) Patrick.
She was preceded in death by her parents; and her husband.
The family requests that in lieu of flowers memorial contributions be made to Highland Park Baptist Church Building Fund.
Funeral services will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 20, in the chapel of Williams Funeral Home in Columbia, Tenn. The family will visit with friends from 4 until 6 p.m. immediately prior to the service. Interment will be at Memphis Memory Gardens on Friday.
Online condolences may be made at www.williamsfh.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers crush Yazoo April 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago