Reservior fishing predictions
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) fisheries biologists predict fishing success in 2014 on Arkabutla, Sardis, Enid and Grenada Lakes.
MDWFP sampling showed good spawns of sport and forage fish on all lakes. Largemouth Bass and Bluegill were most numerous at Arkabutla Lake where bass numbers were 22 times higher and Bluegill numbers were eight times higher compared to 2012. Although bass and Bluegill numbers did not rise as much at Enid, Sardis and Grenada Lakes, improved fishing for these species is expected.
The big 2009 White Crappie year class will comprise most of the angler harvest at Enid, Sardis and Grenada Lakes. The weaker spawns in 2010 and 2011 will mean fewer crappie from 10 to 12 inches at these lakes. It is anticipated that good spawns in 2012 and 2013 will increase populations if normal or higher water levels are maintained.
A huge black crappie spawn at Arkabutla Lake occurred last spring. The growth of these fish has been exceptional because of a massive shad spawn and many of the crappie are already legal size.
Blue Catfish from 20 to 35 pounds were common at Sardis Lake. Fishing with whole shad on heavy tackle with a big circle hook is the best method to catch these trophies. Trotlines, jugs, noodles and hand-grabbling are also popular fishing methods for catfish.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago