EDITORIAL: Let’s show some hometown pride
March 20 is the first day of Spring and if the sun is shining we will all get that primordial urge to clear, dig and plant. Women have conducted Spring cleaning in this community since pioneer days when their ancestors heralded the first warm weather as a sign to wash, sweep and clear the house of winter’s dinginess. Guys know the drill – they are sent outside to rake, bag and haul off trash that has accumulated over the past five months.
Neighbors will greet neighbors and people will wave to passing cars as they clear the flower bed and tidy up the front yard.
We think it’s easy for residential areas to get in the spring cleaning mood.
It is our wish for the commercial and industrial areas of our community to catch the same spirit.
Families who take pride in their home show it and that pride returns to them in the form of higher property values, less crime and the respect of living in a well kept neighborhood.
Those same returns await our commercial and industrial neighbors who “tidy up the front yard.”
This town has a definite need to clean up the main entrances to our community. They may seem fine and normal to those who have looked at them for years, but they leave less than a good first impression on those driving in for the first time.
Recycling is the wave of the future and much of that junk has a value, if you’ll make the effort to haul it to a recycling center. And, yes, some of it has no value and just needs to be hauled off or least moved where no one can see it.
Our schools work hard to instill pride and higher self esteem in our students. Our industrial board strives to put their best foot forward every day that dawns.
We want to remind local businesses that every store in this town has a stake in the appearance of this community. Now it is the time for run-down property to spruce up and put a good face on downtown.
Take a little pride in your town. The rewards will make us all smile and be proud to call this community home.
- Super scoopers take pride in cleaning up after pooches
- Leaves, Leaves, and More Leaves
- Holiday volunteers spruce up South Kelso
- You Might Have Redneck Security If…
- Clean Sweep Time to spring clean the region
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago