He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy who served in World War II on the USS Terror and was a deep sea diver and mine sweeper. He was a selectman on West Point City Board for 34 years and a deacon since 1947 at West End Baptist Church. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge 159, and a Boy Scout Master for 10 years. He coached the Bryan Packers semi-pro baseball team in the 1960’s which went to the World Series in Wichita, Kan. He also coached Little League, Babe Ruth and American Legion baseball teams. He served as deputy for Clay County Sheriff’s Dept. In 1997 he was inducted into West Point Hall of Fame, and in Mississippi Municipality Hall of Fame. In 1988 he was Daily Times Leader Man of the Year. He was a member of the Pioneers of America with Bell South and he served as a Gideon.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday, March 14, at West End Baptist Church in West Point with the Rev. Terry Partin, the Rev. Chris Layton and Kenny Dill officiating. Burial will follow in West Point Memorial Gardens. Robinson Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Pallbearers will be Tyler Davis, Kirk Harmon, Todd Harmon, Rocky McGarrity, Scott Andrews and Chris Craven. Honorary pallbearers are Bucky Kellogg, Kenny Dill, members of West End Baptist Church, and staff and friends at Waverly Care Home.
He is survived by a son, Steve Harmon (Patricia) of Columbia; a daughter, Liz Davis (Marc) of Amory; a brother, Buck Harmon of West Point; sisters, Gladys Davis of Cedar Bluff, Sue Rambo and Mary Ray, both of West Point; seven grandchildren, Lyle Harmon, Leigh Harpole, Elisabeth Zerkus, Kirk Harmon, Todd Harmon, Tyler Davis and Jessica Davis; and six great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Addine Harmon; son, Jim Harmon; sisters, Vera Harrington, Christine Harmon, Lula Mae Harmon and Ruby Ganley; and brother, Owen W. Harmon.
Memorials may be made to West End Baptist Church, P.O. Box 388, West Point, MS 39773.
Friends may leave condolences online at robinsonfh.net.
Visitation will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Robinson Funeral Home.
- Sarah Castleberry
- Olivia Bernard
- Doretha Fairchild
- Dan Harmon’s Comedic Insanity Hits the Road in ‘Harmontown’ (VIDEO)
- Croton Harmon Education at the Crossroads
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago