Man convicted of killing cyclist dies in prison
Chris Burke, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Prison, says Wendell G. Blount, died Wednesday in the prison hospital in Butner, N.C. Burke says it appears Blount died of natural causes but an autopsy is pending.
Federal prosecutors said Blount was under the influence of prescription morphine when his SUV struck Esther Hageman on April 22, 2009, as she rode south on the Natchez Trace Parkway near Houston. Hageman, of Leiden, Netherlands, was a veteran journalist for one of the Netherlands’ major newspapers, Trouw.
In 2010, Blount, who was 58 at that time, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for vehicular manslaughter in the 2009 death of Hageman.
The Natchez Trace is part of the National Parks system so Hageman’s death was prosecuted in federal court.
Blount was convicted of manslaughter in April 2010, but authorities said he fled house arrest to avoid sentencing. He was captured in October 2010 in Baton Rouge, La. Legal wrangling in the case added more delays to the sentencing, which ultimately took place in October 2011.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago