Lady Toppers win in tourney
Houston coach Jeffery Mann had some spots to fill on the fast pitch field this spring, but Saturday’s wins saw them covered pretty well.
“I lost both pitchers and my catcher off last year’s team, so we are young in that department as far as experience,” Mann said. “Madeline Burdine and Taylor Lancaster have stepped in and did a great job pitching to start off the year. M.K. Sullivan has taken over duties behind the plate and does a solid job.”
The Lady Toppers trailed the Lady Rams, 1-2, after two inning in their first game Saturday, but the third inning put them back on track.
Josie Anderson and Chelsea Gates both reached safely on bunts with Gates moving Anderson to third and stealing second on Chelsea Robinson’s at-bat. Anderson scored on a pass ball and Sullivan scored Gates on a sacrifice fly. Talaja Echoles didn’t quite get her signature homer, but her triple off the centerfield fence scored Sullivan and Burdine’s sac bunt sent her home with a 5-2 lead for the Houston girls.
The Lady Toppers went on to take a 7-2 win over Vardaman and shutout West Point, 14-0.
“We’ve gotten off to a good start,” Mann said. “Our defense has had a good start to the year. It’ll take time to figure out what works best for us. Chelsea Gates and Talaja Echoles lead us on the offensive and defensive side of things. Everyone feeds off them and I need them to have a good year and show some junior and senior leadership.”
The Lady Toppers were scheduled to host Amory Monday, weather permitting, and will head to East Webster Thursday as the 2013 4A State runners-up will take on last year’s 2A State champions.
“Tough matchup,” said Mann.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago