HLES: Responsible, Respectful, Ready
HOUSTON – The American flag flies high at Houston Lower Elementary School every day, thanks to four second-grade students.
“They do it every, single day,” said counselor Crystel Ellison. “They take care of putting the flag up and taking it down and they are so responsible about it.”
The daily ceremony originated with Principal Robert Winter and second grade teacher, Danyelle Sterkel, was tasked with selecting the students to perform the ceremony.
“We chose four students that showed good citizenship qualities based on the ‘3 R’s’ at our school: Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Ready,” Sterkel said. “Now that we realize that they are indeed responsible enough to handle this job, we will soon be rotating the responsibility based on students who display the qualities.”
Sterkel said the flag ceremony has been and can continue to be incorporated into the overall elementary curriculum.
“We have previously taught lessons in Social Studies on how to be good citizens and currently are teaching a unit on our local and state governemnt,” Sterkel said. “So we plan to tie those charateristics of showing good citizenship into how we choose our flag boys or girls.”
The flag is raised each school day before classes begin and lowered at end of day.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago