Winter weather heads our way
Freezing temperatures and precipitation will be moving down over Oxford and Tupelo a little after midnight with a 100 percent chance of rain, according to the National Weather Service.
The NWS expects less than a quarter inch of freezing rain and sleet accumulation, but has issued a winter weather advisory for Tishomingo, Prentiss, Pontotoc, Lee, Itawamba, Tallahatchie, Yalobusha, Calhoun, Chickasaw, and Monroe counties. Precipitation is expected to lift out of the area around 6 a.m., but temperatures are expected to hit below the freezing mark.
Mississippi Highway Patrol is preparing for the weather and has urged caution to those getting out on the roads.
Mississippi Department of Transportation put out the following release:
ABUNDANT MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO WILL INTERACT WITH BITTER COLD ARCTIC AIR MOVING INTO THE MIDSOUTH TODAY AND TONIGHT. SUBFREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL MOVE FROM FAR NORTHEAST ARKANSAS THIS MORNING TO THE INTERSTATE 40 CORRIDOR BY 3 PM TO 4 PM AND A CLARKSDALE MISSISSIPPI TO SAVANNAH TENNESSEE LINE BY 9 PM. DURING THE OVERNIGHT THE FREEZING LINE SHOULD EXTEND ALONG THE NATCHEZ TRACE PARKWAY AT 3 AM MONDAY. THE FREEZING LINE WILL DROP THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI BY SUNRISE MONDAY. CONTINUOUS LIGHT TO MODERATE FREEZING RAIN WILL OCCUR TODAY BEHIND THE FRONT ALONG WITH PERIODS OF SLEET WHERE THUNDER OCCURS. THE LATE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT WILL SEE SLEET MIXING WITH FREEZING RAIN OVER NORTH MISSISSIPPI WEST TENNESSEE AND EAST CENTRAL ARKANSAS. FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET MAY CAUSE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.
Sunday, Mar. 02, 2014 5:03 AM – Monday, Mar. 03, 2014 6:00 AM
Counties Affected: Calhoun, Chickasaw, Itawamba, Lee, Monroe, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Tallahatchie, Tishomingo, Yalobusha
- Bitter Cold Temperatures Causing Frozen Pipes
- Snow proves scarce in region
- SCHOOL CLOSINGS: Houston, Okolona, Houlka, Hebron closed
- Winter storm warning issued for region
- Winter weather heading for the area
- Sleet slows travel in and out of North Texas
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago