WINTER JAM: Diverse acts mark Christian music festival
By Sheena Barnett
TUPELO – Rock, hip-hop, worship and pop collide at Winter Jam this year.
The Christian music festival, hosted by Newsong, features one of its most diverse line-ups ever, including “American Idol” alum Colton Dixon, Lecrae, Thousand Foot Krutch, Tenth Avenue North and Plumb, one of the few women on the tour.
Winter Jam is another highlight for the rock/pop singer, whose latest album, “Need You Now,” has been one of her most successful.
“(Winter Jam) is incredible,” she said in a phone interview with the Daily Journal from a tour stop in Ohio. “I think it’s, so far, the best tour I’ve ever been a part of. There’s a diverse group of artist unified, and it’s not a competitive atmosphere.”
The tour allows her to be home during the week with her family, but no matter where she is, she’s writing.
“That’s kind of a constant thing for me. That’s always happening, whether I’m recording a new record or touring,” she said. “There’s always a pool from which to pull. Another record’s always being thought of, and I’m always working on the next one.”
She doesn’t just write songs: Plumb is currently writing a book.
“My mother says when I was little, I wrote lots of notes. I even wrote notes to my teachers,” she said. “I think I’ve always been a storyteller.”
She enjoys storytelling, whether it’s on stage or on the page.
“I sang in church when I was 3 years old, and this elderly man would say, ‘When are you gonna sing again? That brought me so much joy,’ and I liked making him feel that way,” she said. “Inspiring people, giving them joy, taking them further – that’s definitely the goal of what I do now.”
She has plenty going on, in addition to Winter Jam, and she hopes her fans will follow her journey.
“I’m writing a book, I’ll have a headlining tour and I’m a wife and mom,” she said. “The plate is pretty full. We’ll see what happens.”
• What: Winter Jam, featuring News Boys, Lecrae, Tenth Avenue North, Colton Dixon, Newsong, Thousand Foot Crutch, Plumb and more
• When: 7 p.m. today
• Where: BancorpSouth Arena
• Cost: $10
• Info: bcsarena.com
- Winter Jam 2014 Is Coming To Rupp Arena
- Colton Dixon interview: Winter Jam 2014, missing a flight, expanded edition of ‘A Messenger’ and fame
- Winter Jam returning to Tampa with Newsboys, Lecrae
- Christian artist Plumb discusses Winter Jam 2014, ‘Need You Now,’ the power of love and marital advice
- Winter Jam 2014 performers include Newsboys, Lecrae
- Winter Jam returns March 1 with headliners Newsboys, Lecrae
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago