Too soon over
The third time was not a charm for the Lady Toppers as they finished up their season in the first round of district tournament.
The Houston girls drew Kosciusko for the opener, a team they had split games with during the regular season. But the Lady Toppers met an improved Whippet team Feb. 18, according to coach Vernessa Gates, and their dreams of making a trip to the Big House were dashed – for now.
“The Lady Toppers will not give up their hope on reaching their goal for next year,” Gates said.
After a short recess, the team will get right back to work.
“We’ll take a break from the hardwood for a couple of weeks then start back conditioning and getting ready for the summer league,” Gates said.
Gates will lose five seniors at graduation who have been consistent on the team for the past five years. Ashley Conner, LaShari Free, Keria McPherson, Jasmine Myles and Laura Beth Nichols will all graduate this spring and Gates sends them off with optimism for their journey.
“We wish each of them well as they venture out into other future endeavors,” Gates said.
Boys fall to Leake
The Hilltoppers also saw they season close Feb. 22 as they took a 37-63 loss to Leake Central in the first game of district tourney.
Coach Orlando Randle will lose three players in May as Javarious Jones, Chase Eldridge and Javan Farr all graduate.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago