EDITORIAL: Tourism community
Two big community events took place this weekend in Chickasaw County.
Okolona hosted the Battle of Okolona on the 150th Anniversary of this historic Civil War engagement. The Houston Community Theatre hosted “Hello, Dolly,” the ninth production for this local acting troupe.
Both events drew people to their respective communities and both events showed we have the talent and work ethic to pull off quality productions that cast our community in a favorable light. Both events put lots of people in restaurants, hotels and retail businesses around here.
The opening of the Tanglefoot Trail prompted a lot of people across this county to look around and catalog the number of community events we have.
There is the Flywheel Festival, Homecoming on the Square, Magnolia Festival, Cornbread Festival, Black-Eyed Pea Festival, the Christmas Lights in Woodland. And don’t forget the Sweet Potato Festival just across the county line in Vardaman.
Every community has Christmas Parades, spring flings, summer singings and reunions and lots of fall fun. We also play football, host baseball and softball tournaments and go inside in the winter to play basketball.
We have Davis Lake, the Natchez Trace, museums and dozens of historic markers. And have you ever seen anyone come to Chickasaw County to hunt or fish?
All of these events bring people to town. And all those people have money in their pockets.
When local chambers and foundations began talking tourism about two years ago, people snickered and scoffed at the idea of tourist walking our streets and shopping in our stores. Those with a sense of vision kept right on pushing and tourism has become a part of the thinking of smart merchants around here.
Every business and company in this community needs to join others in promoting our county and their respective town. In the tourism game getting people to work together prompts crowds to come to town and offers tourist more places to spend more dollars. The worn out economic phrase that “a rising tide lifts all boats” may not be true in every situation, but it works in the business of tourism.
It’s time every business made helping every business in our community grow, became a reality. Let’s get to work and do those things that bring tourism dollars to town.
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail
- Bringing business to Houston
- Romantic Rothenburg
- Trail opens, city elections top news for 2013
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
Battle, Black-eyed pea, Christmas, Cornbread, Davis Lake, Don Locke, featured, Flywheel, Flywheel Festival, Homecoming, Houston, Houston Community Theatre, Jason Brooks, John Walden, Joyce East, Magnolia, Museum, Natchez Trace, Okolona, Perry Grubbs, Play, Stacey Parker, sweet potato, Sweet Potato Festival, Tanglefoot Trail, Tourism, Woodland
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago