TUPELO – John Michael “Mike” Carter, 57, died Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House following an extended illness. He was born in Okolona on Nov. 22, 1956, to John Melvin Carter and Ruby Gaines Colston. He was a graduate of Tupelo High School and continued his education at Itawamba Community College. He was a sales representative for Better Brands for the better part of 15 years. He enjoyed reading all types of books (especially history), sports of all kinds, and was an Ole Miss fan. He was a member of Harrisburg Baptist Church.
A memorial service celebrating his life will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 26, at Ingomar Methodist Church with Dr. Brad Sartor officiating. There will be no visitation. Holland Funeral Directors, Tupelo Chapel, is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his mother, Ruby Colston of Tupelo; two children, Lanny Carter of Pontotoc and Caroline Carter of Saltillo; one sister, Linda Carter of Tupelo; uncle, Bobby Gaines (Lucy) of Tupelo; aunts, Ellen (Leon) Malone of Tupelo, Shirley Lee Gaines and Catherine Gaines of New Albany, Blanche Carter of Kansas City, Mo., and Shirley Medley Gaines of Corinth; and a host of cousins that he adored.
He was preceded in death by his father; infant son, John Gaines Carter; stepfather, Dudley Colston; uncles, Quay Gaines Jr., Charles Gaines, Pete Gaines, Wayne Gaines, Benny Gaines, Malcom Carter and Frank Wicker; and aunts, Annie Faye Wicker, Evelyn Gaines and Willie Vance Gaines.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago