Happy Birthday Miss Zula
HOUSTON – She may not be Mississippi’s oldest resident, but she holds the record in Chickasaw County.
Zula Warnick celebrated her 108th birthday Sunday and was treated to a party on Valentine’s Day that saw Houston Mayor Stacey Parker present her with a special proclamation, a box of chocolates and 11 roses.
“You may be asking why we didn’t get 12, Miss Zula,” said Parker. “It’s because you are the 12th rose in Houston today.”
Warnick thanked the mayor and those gathered. She smiled for the camera and talked with family and friends.
“I was the only girl in our family and I had to be strong,” said Warnick. “I learned to do everything on a farm.”
Warnick attributed her rural lifestyle, lots of friends and eating right to her long life.
“I did ask for lemon drop candy,” said Warnick. “I have always liked lemon drops ever since I was a girl. And that was a long time ago.”
Warnick was born Feb. 16, 1906 near Macedonia. She worked at the Ammunition Plant in Prairie in the 1940s and later for Rice Stix as a seamstress.
She said she remembers seeing her first car, her first light bulb and her first airplane. She said she still read her Bible and loves to sing.
“She get tired a little quicker than she used to,” said her nephew, James Criddle. “We were playing dominoes the other day and after she beat me four out of five games she said she was tired. She told me I could come back next week and she would beat me some more.”
Staff at Floyd-Dyer Manor said Warnick’s attitude was part of her strength.
“She is a lot of fun to be around and she asks a lot of questions,” said Nurse Hope Tucker. “She really is a beautiful person and means so much to us and to people in Houston.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago