Windy weather headed our way today
TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi and the rest of the Mid-South are under a wind advisory from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today ahead of a cold front that should move through the region this afternoon or evening.
While strong southerly winds are expected throughout the day, the damaging winds will be along a squall line that accompanies the cold front. Sustained winds of 25 miles per hour are expected, with gusts as high as 45 miles per hour.
“The primary threat with this system will be damaging winds,” said Zack Maye, a National Weather Service forecaster in Memphis. “It’ll be coming through Tupelo in the early evening hours – about 7 to 8 p.m., likely.”
Severe thunderstorms also are possible along and ahead of the cold front. Forecasters have identified an area stretching from near the Gulf Coast to the Ohio Valley where the chance of severe weather for any given location is around 30 percent.
“We don’t have so much instability that … everybody will see severe weather,” said NWS forecaster Benjamin Schott.
Tornadoes are only a slight possibility with this storm system, Maye said.
“Anytime you’re talking about severe thunderstorms, tornadoes are possible,” he said. “That’s a small chance this time. It’s not going to be any great tornado outbreak.”
- Is Fear of Lightning Normal?
- Squall line forecast for Thursday night could bring tornadoes, 70 mph winds
- Severe Weather Outbreak, Including a Tornado Threat, Begins Thursday In the Ohio Valley, Southeast
- Thursday Evening Storms
- Why the flawed forecast?
- #DEVELOPING #SEVERE WEATHER EXPECTED IN NW AND WEST #GA TONIGHT INTO FRI AM #gawx #atlweather
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Errol Castens
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago