TEEN PREGNANCY: Preparation key to child rearing
Nabors is the Community Educator for the region and said the role of DHS is often misunderstood.
“People look at DHS as the bad guys,” Nabors said. “But we have services we can provide like parenting classes. If a teen thinks she’s pregnant, we can tell them where to go to find out and we have a list of parenting resources and referrals, like the Family Resource Center.”
Nabors said the goal of the department is to assist parents to be able to maintain their families without intervention.
But she has seen the other side of the coin as well and knows education and training are key to good parenting.
“Children don’t come with instructions,” Nabors said. “A lot of times there is a cycle. We parent the way we were parented and that’s just the good, the bad and the nasty.”
Children come into the DHS system through abuse or neglect.
“When there is a lack of the protective capacity it becomes an issue,” Nabors said. “But abuse and neglect is a cycle sometimes and no one is looking out for the child. When we have a child whose parent is not providing protection, then we try to work with the extended family and ask them, ‘Can you help?’ If they can step in and help, then things are good. If no one in the family can step in, then the child can come into foster care.”
Nabors gave an illustration of a scenario where a family member can make a difference.
“If you have a mom who is 32 and a teen mom, her daughter, who is 16, do the math,” Nabors said. “If they don’t have a good relationship, there may be an aunt or cousin who is responsible and can help.”
Nabors said parents and community members should be aware of some of the reasons behind teen pregnancy.
“Are we, as parents or the community, judging these young ladies without knowing if they are victims of abuse, rape or incest?” Nabors said. “If you have a child of 12 who is pregnant, where was that parent when that child had time to have sex? That’s neglect.”
Nabors said sometimes intervention is needed to break a cycle of neglect and abuse and to teach parents a different system of parenting.
“The best two things you can give children are roots and wings,” Nabors said. “You plant the foundation, teach and educate them and then trust that they will take off. But sometimes that just doesn’t happen.”
- Shackled, Pregnant Inmate Gets $130,000
- Nabors quadruples takehome in fourth quarter
- Maestro has five students playing in Cliburn
- Surprise, surprise, surprise: Actor Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) marries his longtime boyfriend
- Study Says There’s an Unexpected Impact of MTV’s ’16 and Pregnant’ on Teens
- TEEN PREGNANCY: Building a family
- TEEN PREGNANCY: Pregnant teens need help, support
- Teaching Your Teen to Drive Is Your Teen Ready To Drive
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago