COLUMBUS – Holly Kelly Reifers Curtis, 87, died Friday, Feb. 14, 2014, at Aurora Health and Rehabilitation. Born on Feb. 28, 1926, she was a daughter of William Floyd and Elizabeth Rimmer Kelly.
She went to Nursing School at Houston Hospital and received her LPN degree after graduating and passing her state board. At age 45, she got her driver’s license when her son, Robert, was 15. She worked at Gilmore Memorial Hospital for 16 years on the 3–11 p.m. shift at what used to be South station before retiring. Always a nurse at heart, she cared for her neighbors who could not leave their houses, now called homebound care.
For many years, she and her husband, Benny, delivered Meals on Wheels to the homebound until their health failed. She was proud of having perfect attendance in Sunday school at Cason Baptist for 16 years until her health would not allow her to leave her home. She enjoyed going back to school to further her education in nursing, her grandchildren, cooking, yard work, watching hummingbirds, watching her flowers bloom, Elvis and gospel music and Jimmy Swaggert.
A celebration of life service will be at 11 a.m. Monday, Feb. 17, at E.E. Pickle Funeral Home with Bro. Roy McHenry officiating. Burial will follow in East Chickasaw Memorial Gardens of Okolona.
She is survived by a sister, Bobbie Hall of Okolona; children, James “Jimmy” Reifers Jr. (Deedee) of Pontotoc, Ann Reifers Cheney of Smithville, Richard Russell Reifers of Bowling Green, Ky., Robert Timothy Reifers (Brenda) of Arlington, Tenn. and Teresa “Terri” Lynn Reifers Harlan (Eric) of New Hope; grandchildren, Jamie Reifers, JR Winters, Mikie Reifers, Wendy Morris, Johnny Cheney (Kim), John Box (Missy), Vince Cheney, Amanda Morris, Bethany Reifers, Barbara Ann Cheney, Leighann Holifield (Joey), and Thomas Hall (Sheena); 20 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husbands, James Herman Reifers in 1972 and Benjamin Leslie “Benny” Curtis, whom she married on Oct. 24, 1976, on March 3, 2013; a grandson, Kelly Randall (Randy) Cheney; and great-grandchildren, Lindsey and
Krisi Morris and Eddie Vincent Cheney.
Pallbearers will be her grandchildren.
Honorary pallbearers will be her nieces and nephews, Staff of Aurora Health and Rehab, and Gladys Martin.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the funeral home.
Memories and condolences may be shared with the family at eepicklefuneralhome.com. –
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers crush Yazoo April 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago