Burdine signs with Mississippi Delta
Senior Austin Burdine led off the signing season for Houston High School Feb. 4 as he inked his letter of intent to play baseball for Mississippi Delta Community College.
Delta coach Michael Avalon said he is looking foward to Burdine joining the Trojans on the diamond next season.
“Throughout the recruiting process, we look for a few simple, yet important, constants,” Avalon said. “Good players who are good people that are willing to work hard, Austin exemplifies all of these charateristics.”
Burdine has been a constant on the Hilltopper diamond since junior high and made a brief return to the football field in the fall of 2013.
“He walks out there for only the spring and one week of fall practice and was one of the best players at a couple of positions,” said Houston coach Scott Gann. “He then tore his ACL, but has absolutely worked his tail off to get back healthy.”
“The determination and hard work that he put in to return from the unfortunate knee injury is quite impressive,” agreed Avalon.
Gann said Burdine has led not only in game statistics, including hits, runs, RBI, batting average and on-base percentage, but off the field as well.
“Austin is a leader by example,” Gann said. “Hopefully all of that will carry over to this (senior) season.”
He also begins his final season for the Hilltoppers carrying a 3.8 GPA.
Avalon is looking forward to Burdine joining the Trojans for the 2014-15 academic year and baseball season.
“We look for Austin to come in and compete for a spot in the outfield and also on the mound,” Avalon said. “Not a lot of guys are able to contribute as a dual athlete in college, but we believe Austin has the potential.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago