The Lady Eagles dominated, while the Eagles had to battle back, but both teams came out of district tournament and are headed into the first round of North Central playoffs this week.
Lady Eagles fly through district
The Hebron girls came off a JV district championship last week and carried their momentum into varsity tournament, letting no one stand in their way of a title.
Coach Bruce Franks said his young team played above their years.
“I think they saw just how good they really could be,” Franks said. “They got pressed a little and had to recover. They weren’t shooting well and had to work through that and they weren’t making free throws and they had to work through that.”
The work paid off as the Lady Eagles blasted Kemper County, 56-21, in their first game and followed up with a 61-36 win over Central Academy for the district championship.
In the Kemper game, Victoria Hudson led for the Lady Eagles with 14 points while Holly Hudson, Mille Hudson and Brooke Griffin all scored ten each.
In the championship game, Rebekah Joy Falkner and H. Hudson split the lead with 15 each, followed by Alaina Hill with 13 and Ferguson with ten.
“They made improvements through each game and that’s what you’ve got to have,” Franks said.
The boys struggled in tournament, falling to Kemper, 54-65, in their first game, but staged their comeback in the consolation round, downing the hosting Cougars 73-29.
“We had a thorough practice and went back and made some corrections,” Franks said.
Channing Tapley led for the Eagles in their first game with 20 points, followed by Landon Hill with 15 and Clay Faulkner with ten.
In the win over Calhoun Academy, all 12 team members played and nine put points on the board. Leading for Hebron was Hill with 24, followed by Hayden Carty and Collin Moore with 11 each and Faulkner with ten.
“They haven’t really played like I know they can, but I think they got a glimpse of what they can do,” Franks said.
On to playoffs
The girls will open on the playoff road Thursday at 4 p.m. against Humphreys Academy and the boys will follow with Central Holmes at 5:15 p.m.
“They put them out last year, so there will be a revenge factor there,” Franks said of the boy’s game.
North Central Division A tournament will be held at Benton Academy in Yazoo County.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago