Some businesses closed, many more stay open
While many businesses and service providers in Northeast Mississippi opted to close their doors as snow and ice blanketed the area, many others chose to open later in the day or were unaffected by the weather.
Location also played a role in how a business responded.
South of Tupelo, there were more closures since the ice and snow was heavier there.
United Furniture in Okolona, for example, was closed Tuesday. In Houston, Franklin Corp. was open, but many employees were unable to make it to the plant.
The region’s largest employer, North Mississippi Health Services, was doing what it could to get workers to its flagship hospital, North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo.
Through a spokeswoman, NMMC chief nurse executive and interim president Donna Pritchard said hospital security officers were picking up local employees who didn’t feel they could safely get to work and driving them in. Also, the NMMC Child Care Center was taking care of employees’ children whose regular day care provider or school is closed today.
Also, arrangements were made for employees to spend the night at the main unit again tonight if they need to.
But some of NMHS’s clinics outside of Lee County were affected a little more by the weather. Twelve of the system’s 34 clinics or satellite offices were closed Tuesday, while the rest opened later in the day.
In addition, North Mississippi Medical Center’s Behavioral Health Center daytime and nighttime group meetings were canceled Tuesday and will be close again Wednesday. All groups will resume Thursday.
Tupelo-based Renasant Bank said all of its offices were running “full speed ahead,” according to a spokesman. BancorpSouth said most of its offices were unaffected in Northeast Mississippi, although there were some delayed openings. Some offices in Huntsville, Ala., were to close early on Tuesday due to inclement weather there.
Northeast Mississippi’s largest retail shopping hub, The Mall at Barnes Crossing, opened at noon.
And Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi in Blue Springs was largely unaffected by the weather, a spokeswoman said.
A second round of precipitation was expected overnight Wednesday.
- Tupelo State of the City postponed due to weather concerns
- Weather prompts school, office closings
- Injured Circus Elephant Returning to Tupelo
- UPDATED: Tuesday Weather Closings
- Atlanta robbery linked to Tupelo officer shooting
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Dennis Seid
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago