SCHOOL CLOSINGS: No school for Houston, Okolona, Houlka!
The decision was made by the Central Office after looking at local weather forecasts.
Students will make up the snow day on President’s Day Feb. 17 which was initially scheduled as a staff development day without students in class.
State law requires school district to provide 180 days of classroom instruction. Houston does not have any extra days built into its schedule.
Concerns about Monday night’s weather forecast, which includes a possibility for snow and ice, prompted a number of Northeast Mississippi schools to announce closings.
Those who will be closed on Tuesday include:
Calhoun County School District: Closed
Choctaw County Schools: Closed Tuesday
Clay County Head Start: Closed Tuesday
Clay County Schools: Closed Tuesday
Coleman Head Start: Closed Tuesday
Columbus Air Force Base: Closed Tuesday
Columbus Schools: Closed Tuesday
East Mississippi Community College: Closed Tuesday
FBC Kindergarten – Houston: Closed Tuesday
Hebron Christian School: Closed Tuesday
Houlka Schools: Closed Tuesday
Houston Schools: Closed Tuesday. Makeup Day February 17
Itawamba Community College: Closed Tuesday
Jackson Furniture Myrtel plant opening at 8 am
Lee County Forestry Association – Grenada: Canceled Leadership Workshop Tuesday
Mississippi Government Offices: Opening Tuesday 10 a.m.
Mississippi State University: Closed Tuesday
Mississippi University for Women: Closed Tuesday
Monroe County Schools: Closed Tuesday
Northeast Mississippi Community College: All Day Classes Canceled. Administrative Offices Closed
Oak Hill Academy: Closed Tuesday
Okolona Schools: Closed Tuesday
Oktibbeha County Counseling to Career Program: Closed Tuesday
Oktibbeha County Head Start: Closed Tuesday
Oren Dunn Museum – Tupelo: Closed Tuesday
Philips Lighting – Tupelo: Tuesday start time delayed until 8 a.m.
Pontotoc City Schools: Close
Pontotoc County Schools: Closed Tuesday
Sanderson Plumbing Products, Columbus: Work resumes 10 p.m. Wednesday
Seminole Furniture: Closed
Styline Furniture: Closed
Social Security Admin. ODAR Green St., Tupelo: Opening delayed until 12 p.m.
Social Security Admin. Office – Tupelo, Corinth: Will open at noon on Tuesday
Southern Motion – Both locations Closed
Southwire Company Manufacturing – Starkville: Closed on Tuesday, both shifts
Surgery Clinic of Tupelo : Opening at 11 a.m. Tuesday. Opening at 10 a.m. Wednesday.
United Furniture Industries: Closed Tuesday
Webster County Schools: Closed Tuesday. Makeup day Friday.
West Point Schools: Closed on Tuesday
Woodmen of the World – Ecru: Valentine’s banquet canceled on Tuesday
Check back to DJournal.com for updated weather-related school closings, as they become available. Many school districts indicated they likely will wait to make a decision until they see tonight’s forecast or observe conditions early on Tuesday morning.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation is monitoring weather and road conditions across the state in the event of this two-day winter weather system and has released a list of highways in our area that could be icy.
Specific highways that MDOT cites include Hwy 61, Hwy 82, Hwy 49, Hwy 161, Hwy 15, and Hwy 8.
MDOT advises limited travel in Attala, Yazoo, Warren, Winston, Clay, Panola, Leflore, Lafayette, Holmes, Oktibbeha, Lowndes, Itawamba, Union, Lee, Pontotoc, Webster, Yalobusha, Montgomery, Carroll, Calhoun, Humphreys, Monroe, Tunica, Tate, Marshall, Alcorn, Tishomingo, Chickasaw, Tallahatchie, Coahoma, Bolivar and Sunflower Counties.
At this time no road closures have been issued.
If anyone does need to travel on roadways in these areas, drivers should be sure to buckle up, drive safely, stay alert and slow down, especially when driving in winter weather conditions.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago