Police make arrests in Okolona shooting
OKOLONA – Authorities have arrested five people and their investigation continues into a Friday night shooting Jan. 31 in Okolona where more than a dozen shots were fired.
The shooting sent two people to the hospital, one a 14-year-old boys with a bullet wound to the head, was transported to LeBonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis and he was listed in stable condition today.
“The incident occurred on Jefferson Street in eastern Okolona and apparently stemmed from an altercation earlier in the day,” said Okolona Assistant Police Chief Dwight Parker. “The two groups apparently got together about 11:30 that night and what began as a domestic disturbance became a shooting.”
Parker said police believe between 15 and 20 shots were fired in the altercation that occurred in the front yard.
Parker said Leonard Ray Darden, 32, of Okolona, and Archie Darden, 26, of Okolona, have both been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Christoper L. McIntosh, 22, of Okolona, has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. They are currently in the Chickasaw County Jail under no bond.
Parker said Rayfer Darden, 60, of Okolona, and Stephanie Darden, age unknown, of Okolona, have been charged with child neglect in connection with the case.
A handgun has been recovered and Parker said police are looking for other weapons.
“Anytime you have a shooting it is very serious and the number of shots fired in a city neighborhood makes this even more serious,” said Parker. “I would like to thank the community for helping us identify those involved in this shooting and in helping us make these arrests.”
The night of the shooting a man was transported to the Tupelo Medical Center by ambulance with a gunshot wound to the leg. The 14-year-old was airlifted to LeBonheur. Parker said a third gunshot victim was later identified and is being treated for a gunshot wound to the foot.
“We are still investigating this situation and do expect more arrests,” said Parker.
Parker said the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department also responded to the shooting and has been actively involved in the investigation.
Anyone with details about this case is being asked to call the Okolona Police Department at 447-5427 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-773-TIPS (8477). Calls to CrimeStoppers that leads to an arrest can prompt a cash reward.
- Castle doctrine: Should owning property really give someone the right to kill?
- Okolona increases police chief’s pay
- Rash Recent Shootings Reopen Debate Gun Laws
- Teens arrested after holding up Okolona gas station
- Mother, son found shot to death in Oxford
- Police are searching for a man in connection with a Ventura shooting
- Okolona celebrates MLK Day
- Houston wants to renegotiate 911 contract
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago