Okolona hires summer parks director
Aldermen define duties and requirements
By Floyd Ingram
OKOLONA – Aldermen hired Jennifer Thomas as Okolona Parks and Recreation for 2014 and discussed ways to make the post more effective and provide more services.
Thomas will be a contract worker and serve the community from late spring to early fall.
“We do this every year and get someone who will handle this for the summer,” said Okolona Mayor Louise Floyd-Cole. “It has worked well in the past. We don’t pay a whole lot and we really do ask for a whole lot.”
Ward 5 Alderman Mary Gates said she had been told the lifeguards at the city pool last year were not certified and for liability reasons she urged the city to make sure that didn’t happen this year.
“I don’t think that happened,” said Ward 3 Alderman Eldridge Lowe. “A person in that position must be certified. You can hear a lot of things, but I don’t think that happened and I certainly didn’t know about it.”
Lowe asked the Mayor if she recommended Thomas and he then made the motion to hire her. The vote was 5-1 with Gates opposed to the hire.
Cole offered to meet with Gates and Thomas to hammer out a list of duties and programs for the summer.
“This is a contract position and we can spell out what we want that worker to do,” said Cole. “This should be something we can remedy in a quick meeting.”
In other business:
• The board was approached by Stanley Cooperwood seeking to open a lounge in Okolona. City Attorney Gene Barton said the city has a packet for anyone wanting to open a business in the city and if the department heads sign the appropriate forms and all fees are paid, a certificate of occupancy will be issued.
Barton asked Cooperwood to go by City Hall during regular business hours to pick up a packet.
• The city approved a grant proposal to the Mississippi Development Association seeking state and federal money to rehabilitate houses.
“This program, if you qualify, can address house in our area in bad need of repair,” said Cole. “If the program is managed properly and, again if the person qualifies, they can almost get a new home with this program.”
Cole said the grant seeks to renovate up to five homes in Okolona. The program is currently taking applications.
• Aldermen changed wording in the city’s animal control ordinance allowing the city animal control officer to set the cost of fines and collect those fines, allowing an animal picked up by the city to be released to the owner.
• The city discussed travel expenses for more than 30-minutes.
Place 4 Alderman Regina Pickens said she was very concerned with travel expenses and didn’t feel City Clerk Kim Collins need to attend the Mississippi Municipal League Mid-Winter Conference since she had just returned from a city clerk’s conference.
A motion to limit city travel to elected city officials and the city attorney failed on a 4-2 vote with Pickens and Gates supporting the measure.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago