POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston makes traffic stop bust
HOUSTON – A routine traffic stop has led to the arrest of a local man on possession charges and a continuing investigation into drug traffic in Chickasaw County.
Houston police stopped a car on North Hall Street, Jan. 19 and a search of the vehicle turned up 48 grams of marijuana, scales, plastic baggies and several tobacco cigars.
“The man was arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to sell,” said Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles. “We have asked that the name not be released at this time since we are still investigating this and hope for more arrests. He has been arrested, charged and he is in the Chickasaw County Jail.”
Voyles said the case is also being investigated by the Chickasaw County Narcotics Squad and the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics.
“It was a good stop by an officer who had his eyes open,” said Voyles. “Often times bigger drug arrests start with something small like a routine traffic stop.”
HOUSTON – A local employee is in jail after he allegedly stole money from a local business.
John Box, of Houston, was arrested by the Houston Police Department last week after a Houston business reported cash being stolen at night. Box has been charged with burglary of a commercial building and is currently in the Chickasaw County Jail awaiting a Mississippi Department of Corrections probation revocation hearing.
“In our investigation we discovered the employee was leaving a roll-up door open and going back at night,” said Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles. “Several cash bags were taken in these burglaries.”
BUENA VISTA – Fire destroyed a home at 1907 County Road 406 last week with three fire departments called out to combat the blaze.
Okolona Fire Department and Southeast Volunteer Fire Department were initially dispatched to the fire by Chickasaw County 911 at about 1:45 p.m. Friday. The call for assistance came to the Houston Fire Department at 2:08 p.m.
“It was a mobile home that had been added to and it had a metal roof,” said Captain Jonathan Blankenship with the Houston Fire Department. “The home was totally involved when we got there and it was a total lost.”
The Houston Fire Department was on the scene until about 3:20 p.m., helping shuttle water and wet down debris.
No one was hurt in the fire.
Pedestrian killed on Highway 32
BRUCE – A Bruce man was killed Wednesday after being struck by a vehicle about 7:30 p.m.
Gary D. Gann, 25, of Bruce, was walking east on Highway 32 when an east-bound Jeep Laredo, driven by a 17-year-old male from Bruce, struck him.
Gann was pronounced dead at the scene.
A native of Grenada, Gann was a 2008 graduate of Houston High School. Gann’s funeral was Friday with burial in Turkey Creek Cemetery in Water Valley.
The driver of the Jeep was transported to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Calhoun, where he was treated and released for minor injuries.
The accident is still under investigation by the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago