Hebron heads to tourney
With MAIS JV district tournaments starting this week and varsity set for next week, all three Hebron basketball teams are going in strong, after wrapping the regular season on a winning note.
The JV Lady Eagles are carrying a 13-4, 7-1 record while the varsity team is showing 14-4, 8-0 and the Eagles finished up at 12-4, 7-1.
“Not bad for an old, white-haired man,” joked coach Bruce Franks about his first season with the school after retiring from the public school system last spring.
All jokes aside, all three teams finished strong on the regular schedule and are ready to head to Pittsboro for tournament at Calhoun Academy.
The JV knocked off Central Academy, 37-25, on Jan. 21 with Holly Hudson leading in points with 12, followed by Rachael McGrew and Brooke Grifin with ten each.
The varsity team kept things going with a 67-42 win with Hudson again leading, this time with 25 points, followed by Rebekah Joy Falkner with 13 and Victoria Ferguson chipping in nine.
The Eagles flew over Central, 65-22, with Hayden Carty and Brandon England splitting the lead with 12 points each and Landon Hill and Channing Tapley each adding ten.
In the Friday game against Immanuel, the Hebron teams swept again. The JV girls started things off with a 53-30 win. Griffin and Hudson led with 13 points each and Falkner followed with 11. Millie Hudson, fresh off a holiday injury and out of her cast, wasted no time getting back in the game with ten points.
The varsity girls shut down Immanuel, 52-12, with Falkner in the lead with 16 points and Alaina Hill putting up 14. H. Hudson and Ferguson both threw in ten.
“They all played good,” Franks said.
The boys completed the sweep, besting Immanuel 55-51 with Hayden Carty paving the way with 15 points. Clay Faulkner had 11 and Channing Tapley had ten while Landon Hill and Drew Myatt added nine each.
“Best they’ve played all year,” Franks said of the win over the defending district champs. “And we beat them at their place.”
The JV girls will kick things off Thursday at 6 p.m. against Immanuel. The championship game will be held Friday at 6 p.m.
Varsity tournament begins next week, but both Hebron teams received a bye until Feb. 6. The girls will take on the winner of Kemper/Immanuel at 4 p.m. while the boys will play Kemper at 5:30 p.m.
Championship and consolation rounds will be played Feb. 8, beginning at 2 p.m.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago