Thompson throws out the first pitch
The annual Houston Hilltopper 1st Pitch banquet is set for Feb. 8 with featured speaker, Butch Thompson, assistant baseball coach and pitching coach from Mississippi State University.
Thompson joins a growing list of high-profile sports personalities to address baseball fans in Houston.
“The 1st Pitch banquet has become a huge deal in our program especially with whom we’ve been able to get to be our keynote speaker,” said HHS baseball coach Scott Gann.
Recent speakers have included MSU head baseball coach John Cohen, Delta State head baseball coach Mike Kinnison, MSU Athletic Director Scott Stricklin and former MSU quarterback and radio and television sports analyst Matt Wyatt.
Gann said everyone involved in the HHS baseball program and booster club is pleased to have Thompson heading to Houston.
“Butch Thompson is considered by many in the college game to be one of the best pitching minds out there and we are so fortunate to have him speak at our banquet to get the season going,” Gann said.
Thompson, a native of Amory, is a former Panther and also pitched for Itawamba Community College. He began his coaching career in 1993 as pitching coach at Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Ala. With 20 years of collegiate coaching under his belt, he enters his sixth season with the Diamond Dogs of MSU, 2013 National Championship finalists.
The banquet will be held in the HHS Commons Area and tickets for the event are $20 per person. Tickets may be purchased from any Hilltopper baseball player or diamond girl.
Dates to remember
First full day of high school baseball practice
Baseball jamboree in Pontotoc
HHS vs. Pontotoc, noon
HHS vs. Kossuth, 1:30 p.m.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Slim dollars, opportunities for lazy Americans May 21, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago