Not going down without a fight!
The Houston Lady Toppers took their first district loss Jan. 17 but they didn’t go quietly.
The Lady Toppers took it to double-overtime before they conceded the 56-60 loss at home.
Houston trailed by four midway through the third, but worked together to stay positive with Laura Beth Nichols hitting a deuce and dishing to LaShari Free for another. The up-tempo game led to multiple steals from each side.
The Lady Toppers closed the gap in the fourth with Amber Frison’s dish to Teria Crawford and went up one as Free snagged a rebound and Crawford sank it. Leake’s Mia Coleman connected twice from the charity stripe to put the Lady Gators up by a goal, but Nichols hit Frison with a half-court pass which she sent to Free for the tying basket.
Nichols opened the first overtime period with a trey to give the Lady Toppers an edge and they held their advantage through the first three minutes of play but Leake’s Teanna Moore and Alycia Watkins were accurate from the free throw line to tie it up with under a minute to play. Neither team could sink a shot in the final 49 seconds of the period, forcing a second overtime at 54-54.
The Lady Gators grabbed a quick lead off Sharissa Jefferson’s back-to-back goals and Moore’s free throw. Houston’s Ashley Conner closed the gap with two from the line, but the Lady Toppers couldn’t connect enough for the win.
Houston 40, Leake 57
The Houston boys got into a hole in the first half and had trouble digging out the remainder of the game.
Senior Chase Eldridge hit from the post after a head fake and got a putback to help and Jay Jay Jones made his layup good at the end of the second, but the Toppers went into the break down 13-33.
Houston’s Caleb Mogan opened the third with a jumper for a deuce and Javan Farr and Rodger Pratt each made a trey good to help the Toppers close the gap to 14 to end the period.
J.J. Brownlee’s dish to Morgan for a bucket and Jones’ deuce helped pull the Toppers within 12 but that was as close as they would get. The Gators had consistent accuracy as the Toppers struggled at the net and Leake took the district win.
On the floor
The Toppers and Lady Toppers have a busy week, hosting Noxubee County Tuesday and heading to West Lauderdale Friday. They will play in North Pontotoc Saturday and go straight back into division Jan. 28 hosting Caledonia.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago