HOUSTON – Colleen Smith, 79, transitioned to be with her heavenly Father and loved ones that went before her on Jan. 16, 2014, with her family by her side. She was born March 7, 1934, in Houston to the late Howard and Doris Wooldridge Kellum.
She and Bob owned and operated Bob’s Poultry and Meats in Meridian for nearly 20 years. They moved back to Houston in 1983 and owned and operated the House of BBQ. She was an avid reader of all kinds of books but her favorite was Harlequin Romances. She enjoyed making people happy and feel good about themselves. She always had a kind word and she never met a stranger.
She was a member of Church of God and she had a strong faith in the Lord. She loved spending time with her daughter-in-law, Carla Rhodes. Carla was her main caregiver and gave her the most loving care that anyone could ask for in a daughter. She loved to crochet and was always making something for the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Her passion was her family, especially her grand- and great-grandchildren. Rhodes and Pazli were a true blessing to her and she loved and cared for them tremendously as she did of all her kids and grandkids.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014, at Arbor Grove Baptist Church with Bro. Ralph Cain officiating. Burial will be at Chickasaw Memorial Gardens. Memorial Funeral Home of Houston is in charge of the arrangements.
She is survived by two children, David Rhodes (Carla) of Houston and Tony Smith (Corinna) of Las Vegas, Nev.; two stepdaughters, Dorothy Moore of Grenada and Ruby Jean Smith Sledge of Jackson; two stepsons, Roger Smith of Sunrise, Fla., and Robert Earl Smith of Atlanta, Ga.; grandchildren, Casi Rhodes McCormick (Jeremy) of Bruce, Jessi Lee and Savanna Rhodes of Houston, Kyle, Andrew and Ryan Smith of Las Vegas, Jason Rhodes of Nashville, Tenn., Marcus Rhodes of Tampa, Fla.; great-grandchildren, Pazli Bugard and Rhodes McCormick of Bruce; six more great-grandchildren; six stepgrandchildren, Deonda Moore, Michael Smith, Jessica Smith Pritchard, Lang Smith, Margaret Smith Harrison and Dianna Smith Phillips; brothers, Charles and Gary Kellum of Grenada; and one sister, Barbara Melton of Houston.
She is preceded in death by her husband, Melvin “Bob” Smith; her son, Micheal Rhodes of Biloxi; her parents, Howard and Doris Kellum; her sister, Bobbie Nell Pumphrey of Houston; and her brother, James Rad Kellum.
In lieu of flowers donations may be made to Sanctuary Hospice House In Tupelo or Mississippi Diabetes Association.
For online condolences visit www.memorialfuneralhomehouston.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago