Arena management workshop Jan. 22
Management of facilities used for rodeos and other equine events will be the focus of a Jan. 22 workshop at the Mississippi Horse Park in Starkville.
The three-hour workshop will begin at 1 p.m. and is for individuals responsible for agricultural centers and other equine venues, as well as anyone who produces or hosts horse shows, barrel races or other equine events, said Judith Phillips, research associate with the Stennis Institute of Government at Mississippi State University.
“The workshop is a result of a recent study showing that the most important factors influencing participation and attendance at equine events in Mississippi are ground conditions and arena safety,” Phillips said. “The study was part of a U.S. Department of Agriculture-funded project to revitalize Mississippi’s agricultural centers.”
The workshop will feature techniques used by professional area managers and event promoters to maintain safe footing for horses during equine events. The Mississippi Horse Park recently received the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association’s 2013 Footing Award.
Partners in the project include the Stennis Institute, the MSU Extension Service Center for Government and Community Development and the Bolivar County Board of Supervisors.
The long-range goal of the project is to help Mississippi communities capitalize on their agricultural centers as an economic resource, said Extension economic development specialist Rachael Carter.
“We are using what we’ve learned through a comprehensive market analysis of the Bolivar County Expo Center to help communities statewide take advantage of these resources,” Carter said. “The upcoming workshop is the first event in a statewide training program for all persons involved in managing and operating these facilities.”
Admission to the workshop is free to the public, but participants are asked to register by calling 662-325-3141.
The workshop is a pre-conference event of the Jan. 23-24 Back Stage Pass conference for festival and event coordinators, sponsored by Mississippi Main Street, the Mississippi Development Authority’s Tourism Division and the Mississippi Arts Commission.
Registration for the entire conference is online at msmainstreet.com/index.php/events_news/event/2751.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago