OKOLONA – Lorene Tacker Hill, 94, died Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014, at her home surrounded by her loving family. She was born May 8, 1919, to William David and Sally Witt Tacker.
A lifelong resident of Chickasaw County, she graduated from Egypt School in 1938. She married Edward Hill on Dec. 14, 1938, the marriage lasting 49 years until his death in March 1988.
She worked in retail and was co-owner of Hill-Downey Furniture in Okolona, along with her husband. Her greatest joys in her life were her family, her grandchildren, working in her flower garden, fishing and camping. She was a member of First Baptist Church of Okolona.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday, Jan. 17, at First Baptist Church in Okolona with Bro. Roy McHenry officiating. Burial will be at Boone’s Chapel Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the church. Holland Funeral Directors, Okolona Chapel, is entrusted with arrangements.
She is survived by a daughter, Sarah Hill Downey of Okolona; and two grandchildren, Edward (Drew) Downey (Elizabeth Murphey) of Starkville and Martha Elizabeth (Beth) Downey of Nashville, Tenn.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Edward Hill; her brothers, Leonard Calvert, William and Arthur Tacker; sisters, Mattie Evelyn Tacker Hill, Vivie Birmingham, Rena Riley, Maud Cox, Viola Sullivan, Elna Sullivan and Sallie Dee Bowles; and son-in-law William Downey.
Pallbearers will be George Carter, James Ellis, James J. Hill, Mike Sullivan, Sammy Gooden and Harry Bowles. Honorary pallbearers will be Ronnie Hill, Coy Hill, Jonathan Carter, Scott Sullivan, Bill Whitt and Preston Sullivan.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Boone’s Chapel Memorial Fund, c/o Johnna Corley, 341 CR 411, Okolona, MS, or First Baptist Church, 201 West Main Street, Okolona, MS.
Condolences may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago