Lady Eagles battle Lady Wolves
East Webster had the age, maturity, experience and home court advantage Monday night.
Hebron had the youth, but no fear, as they battled the Lady Wolverines through all four quarters without flinching.
The East Webster girls came out on top with a 55-36 win, but had to keep their eyes open throughout the game as the Lady Eagles looked for and took advantage of every opportunity they could find.
“I think we’re a pretty good ball club,” said Hebron coach Bruce Franks. “They were a little intimidated in the first quarter, but in the third, against all his starters, I think they did ok.”
The Lady Wolverines ran up a 34-13 lead through the first half without the services of Quantesha Patterson, but with four starters on the floor.
The Lady Eagles seemed to overcome their initial intimidation in the second half as Rebekah Joy Falkner matched Mamie Hollenhead in treys to start the third period. Falkner followed up with a deuce and senior Alaina Hill made a steal a goal and added another to close the gap to 22-37.
Hollenhead hit from the charity stripe and Patterson made her layup good, but Hudson closed the period with two more free throws to keep the Lady Eagles moving forward.
Both coaches subbed in the fourth with younger players earning some court time and in the end the Lady Wolverines were the stronger team, taking the non-division win.
The bulk of the Hebron team is comprised of ninth and tenth grade girls and Franks sees a postive future for them, including the workout the had Monday against the Lady Wolverines.
“We’re young and the better teams we play, the better we’ll be down the road,” Franks said of the
The Lady Wolverines are also under new management as Todd Hutchinson took the helm this season and has repeatedly said he came into a solid program.
“They’re learning me and I’m learning them,” Hutchinson has said of the 15-2 team who will break division in Calhoun City Jan. 21. “We’ve got a good mix and we’ve got good size and good athletes.”
EW 64, Hebron 37
Fundamentals were an issue for the Eagles as they fell to the Wolverines Monday night.
Landon Hill led for Hebron with 16 points but the Wolverines’ Samuel Butler led all scoring with a game-high 27 and has plenty of help from Malcolm Jones with 13 and Derrick Jones with 10.
The Eagles (8-4) and Lady Eagles (10-4) went straight back to the floor Tuesday night hosting Calhoun City and will lay at Kemper County Friday.
The Wolverines and Lady Wolverines head to Calhoun City Jan. 21 andhost Bruce Jan. 24 for divison action.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago