GOLDEN – Thomas Allen “Tommy” Zettler, beloved husband, father and grandfather, died on Thursday, Jan. 9, at North Mississippi Medical Center after a long battle with cancer.
In his last days, Tommy celebrated with his family as he marked his 74th birthday and his 51st wedding anniversary to his devoted wife, Phyllis. And as he passed, he was surrounded by his wife and loving daughters.
Last year, Tommy was baptized as a member of Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church. A Banner community resident and a longtime Kentucky resident, he was a dedicated family man, a true-blue Kentucky Wildcats basketball fan and an Army veteran. He graduated from Dixon High School in Kentucky in 1957, and later served in the U.S. Army for two years at Fort Knox in Kentucky, Fort Jackson in South Carolina and Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. He was in the honor guard at Arlington during the funerals of both President John F. Kennedy and General Douglas MacArthur.
Tommy was a loyal employee of Genesco for 40 years, beginning in Huntsville, Ala., and moving from one shoe manufacturing plant to another as he worked his way up in the company. When he transferred to Fulton’s former Charm Step plant, he and his family made their home in Northeast Mississippi. After retiring from Genesco, he worked at Mueller Copper Tubing for five years.
Tommy faced his battle with cancer with his typical toughness. Through it all, his attitude was positive and upbeat, and filled with humor.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 11, at Senter Funeral Home Chapel in Fulton. Bro. Jackie Gray will officiate. Burial will be in Harden’s Chapel Cemetery. Senter Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Tommy is survived by his wife, Phyllis Zettler, Huntsville native; daughters, Sharon Cox and her husband, Stevie, of Amory, Karen George and her husband, Neal, of Fulton, Linda Boeko and her husband, Bruce, of Nashville, Tenn., and Terri Green and her husband. Michael. of Fulton; one brother. Jackie Zettler of Dixon, Ky.; two sisters, Patsy Hite of Morganfield, Ky., and Linda Clark of Dixon; 10 grandchildren, Allen Davis, Bridgette Cox, Kayla George, Clayton Davis, Candace George, Davis Boeko, Bethany George, Brandon Cox, Alexis Green and Andrew Green; and two great-grandchildren, Georgia Davis and Kesley Tucker.
Tommy was preceded in death by his mother, Ruby Swann, of Dixon, Ky., and father, Polk Adam Zettler, also of Dixon.
Pallbearers will be sons-in-law, Neal George, Michael Green and Bruce Boeko; brother-in-law, Bobby Beaty of Huntsville; and nephews, Mark and Michael Moore of Kentucky.
Honorary pallbearers will be Larry Quinn, Glenn Grissom, Ronnie Payne, Rick Mink and Pete Elrod.
Memorials may be made to North Mississippi Medical Center Inpatient Hospice Unit, 830 S. Gloster St., Tupelo, MS 38801.
Online condolences can be expressed at www.senterfuneraldirectors.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago